How to Talk About the Hard Truths in Adoption- DENVER
I put together this workshop almost two years ago after hearing the same questions over and over again from parents, professionals, and therapists. As the President of Adoption Knowledge Affiliates, most of my community supports openness and authenticity in adoption. But those ideals get a little mucky when we start thinking about the events in the adoptee’s story that are uncomfortable to talk about- substance abuse, abandonment, one child laws, abuse or neglect, even rape. Now what? Do we tell our children those things?
So I set out to tackle those questions.
In this three hour workshop, I bring in ideas from neuroscience, memory processing theory, and attachment theory, as well as the voices of adults adopted as children. “How to Talk about the Hard Truths” will:
- Help parents with the idea of WHY we would give this hard information to our kids in the first place.
- Provide examples and ideas about how to give our children age-appropriate and honest information about their life stories.
- Create a better understanding of why it’s important for children to know the truth about their life story.
- Give parents and professionals the tools and language for discussing these difficult topics with children, while emphasizing the importance of attunement when sharing stories and supporting attachment.
- Allow LOTS of time for questions and discussion!
This workshop is being generously supported by Cherry Hills Community Church in Highlands Ranch, CO. Through their support, I am able to offer the low rate of:
- $25/person or $40/couple
NO ONE will be turned away. If you need financial assistance please contact: email@example.com.
CHILD CARE IS AVAILABLE!!!
To Register: http://hardtruthsofadoption.eventbrite.com/
Like what you read here? To get more trauma momma support, click here to sign up for my monthly newsletter!